Friday, September 4, 2009

Dove Mignon

Food and hunting are two of the three things I absolutely love!

A family tradition we have is that on New Years Day my Mother wraps bacon around chestnuts and then she smothers them in her homemade bbq sauce. We only have it once a year, because it is so unhealthy that if you ate it often you would die of a massive heart attack.

Today I invented a little dish I like to call the Triple Bypass! I took five of my doves that I shot on Tuesday, wrapped each breast in a whole piece of bacon, and then I stabbed them with a tooth pick. And then I smothered them in homemade bbq sauce which I invented up (after a phone call to my Mother). This would be a great appetizer and a great way to cook up your doves.





Recipe is as follows:

3 parts catsup
2 parts brown sugar
1 part soy sauce

Cover bacon wrapped doves with bbq sauce and bake at 375 for one hour.

I guess if you use enough bacon everything tastes good, but I have to say that these little buggers were spectacular. My big sister Lisa would be proud.

This week I heard a rumor of a spot in Southern Idaho that is infested with Grouse! I'll be checking it out tomorrow morning. Good luck to all of you chasing birds tomorrow!

7 comments:

marc said...

Dude, some one on top chef just cooked up some dove the same way. I might even try that.

Emmi Morrison said...

Southern Idaho? Come see us! We will be in Twin Falls tomorrow!

Hunter Angler Gardener Cook said...

Looks tasty. My only suggestion: Cut the bacon rashers in half, so you get more dove and less bacon. You can always eat bacon -- doves are but once a year!

JustJon said...

That looks amazing!

Lisa said...

Eric way to go. That looks down right delicious! Why didn't I think of that. You know my favorite way with pheasants is Tiny Spicy, but I may have to try the Triple Bypass.

spotted face said...

I do the same thing with duck breast on the grill - yummmm.

commoncents said...

Keep up the great work! I really like your blog!!!
COMMON CENTS
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com