Thursday, February 12, 2009

Women In the Outdoors




This post is in response to an article I read in The American Spectator, you can read it here.

Basically the article reads that hunters are men that drink hard alcohol and shoot stuff and it is not a sport to be shared with women. The worst part is that the writer is supposedly one of our own, a hunter, but I highly doubt that. So I thought I would rant for a minute about women in the outdoors.

I am proud to say that it was a past girl friend who introduced me to deer hunting. She got a buck, gutted it herself, and then she fried the heart up on the coleman stove with some potatoes. She is one of the prettiest girls I know. Her willingness to hunt and her willingness to let me hunt only makes her more attractive.

When I was young one of my favorite things was fishing with my dad and brothers. But I have to say I do recall even better times and that was when my mom and sisters came along. I dare say my sisters could out fish most men out there.

I can also say one of the best dog handlers I know is my Aunt Jill. She shoots a lot starter then me too.

I strongly believe women and men have an equal place in the outdoors. We need all of us (women and men) to help our current world recognize that hunting is needed and an American Family Tradition.

You better believe my daughters will be my hunting and fishing buddies. I'd rather go with them than some drunkard man.

There is a cool site built for helping us Outdoor Bloggers unite our voices together. Check it out here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Eric. Your daughters are lucky that they will have a father who encourages them to enjoy the outdoors.

By the way, welcome to the OBS. I've added you to the Summit Supporter Blogroll.

me said...

I like your post.

People like Orlet is one of those who is very narrow.

When I recall all the women in my life and hear people say, "Women should do . . . ," I wonder where I would be if women had . . .

I would be nowhere.

Great post for the OBS Challenge.

SimplyOutdoors said...

Amen to your post.

I introduced my wife to hunting and fishing, and she absolutely loves it. And you can bet - that once my daughter is old enough - she will be introduced to the outdoors as well.

I welcome all ladies into our hunting and fishing camps. I figure the more the merrier.